Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Representative Slotkin may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
The deadline for consideration of academy nominations is October 16, 2020. Please submit your applications to the Lansing District Office and contact us at 517-993-0510 if you have any further questions.
Additionally, you will need to submit the following items, in order:
- Completed application form, printed and signed (see below)
- Official high school or college transcript
- Copy of your ACT and/or SAT scores (official copies are not required)
- Biographical essay – include why you want to attend a military academy, your long- and short-term goals, and your future plans if you do not receive a nomination
- List of your extra-curricular activities (clubs, leadership responsibilities, sports, awards/honors)
- 3 letters of recommendation.
- An application opened directly with your desired academy or academies – this will not be submitted to our office. You will be required to complete the academy application process and meet all requirements prior to attending an interview with Congresswoman Slotkin's service academy nomination board.
All documents should be mailed to Congresswoman Slotkin's district office:
Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin
ATTN: Academy Coordinator
1100 West Saginaw Street, Suite 3A
Lansing, MI 48915
***All documents should be submitted together, in order and unstapled***
Once your full application packet is received, you will be scheduled for an interview with my U.S. service academy nomination board. The board will recommend up to ten applicants per open appointment at the U.S. Air Force Academy, the U.S. Merchant Marines Academy, the U.S. Military Academy West Point, and the U.S. Naval Academy.