Help with a Federal Agency

Over the course of my first and second term, our office returned over $1.9 million dollars to constituents, responded to over 136,000 emails, letters and calls and closed over 2,800 constituent cases.


If you feel you have been treated unfairly by a federal agency or haven’t been able to get an answer in a timely manner, our office may be able to help. Our office is here to serve residents of Michigan’s 8th district. If you are unsure if you live within the 8th district, click here to find out.

While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you get information and assist you with your problem.

Before we can reach out to federal agencies to request information and work on your case, we will need to get written authorization through a privacy release form. In this privacy release form, our office will need all pertinent information and claim numbers — such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving the Social Security Administration;

  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;

  • Taxpayer identification number (TIN), Tax year your issue occured, or Social Security number for an Internal Revenue Service problem;

  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;

  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;


If you are experiencing a problem with a state-level agency such as the Unemployment Insurance Agency, Secretary of State, or Michigan Department of the Treasury you are best served by reaching out to your state representative or senator's office. You may look up your state-level elected officials here or here. In addition, the Governor's office has dedicated constituent services representatives who are available to assist you with case specific concerns. Click here for more information on assistance from the Michigan state government. 


Once you have gathered all of the necessary information, you can submit a casework request by following these steps.


Step #1: Complete and sign one of the appropriate privacy release forms

  1. Privacy Release - IRS Cases

  2. Privacy Release - Department of State Visa Cases

  3. Privacy Release - All Other Federal Agencies Cases


*We must have a completed and signed Privacy Release in order to reach out to federal agencies to request information and work on your case* 


Step #2: Upload and submit your completed privacy release and any additional documentation here:

Button with Text "Help with a Federal Agency"


The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.


Understanding how my office can help you:


Many people do not know that their member of Congress can help them with a variety of issues involving federal agencies. My office is here to help, so we put together this guide to help you better understand ways we can assist you. We’re here to assist with any federal agency, so please contact us even if your specific issue isn’t mentioned here.


Our office may be able to help with:


  • VA health care issues

  • Delayed VA benefits

  • Accessing GI benefits

  • Issues with the Department of Defense



  • Issues with stalled tax refunds

  • Corrections to how the IRS calculated what you owe

  • Navigation of the appeals process if you believe the IRS made an unfair decision

  • Setting up a payment plan

  • Connecting you with free, local, and public resources for further tax assistance

  • Understanding the Recovery Rebate Credit for individuals who haven’t received their stimulus check(s)



  • Addressing delays or issues with Social Security Benefits

  • Appealing Medicare decisions

  • Following up on Medicare claim status

  • Accessing other federal services available to seniors



  • Stalled applications

  • Status updates

  • Emergency requests to expedite passport applications



  • Requests for expedited processing of petitions or applications

  • Checking the status of a case

  • Communicating questions or concerns with USCIS or the Department of State.


Quick links for FAQs:


COVID Stimulus Payments

 The IRS is disbursing the Economic Impact Payments from the American Rescue Plan. For updated information on these payments and information on filing for a Recovery Rebate Credit if you have not received a payment but think you should have visit:  


Social Security

Due to COVID-19 local Social Security Offices have been closed to public visitors. To find out what online tools the SSA provides or to get your local offices number visit


Federal Student Aid

The Department of Education is extending the COVID Emergency Relief Flexibilities through at least September 30th, 2021. You can find out more information on how this will affect your loan by visiting


Immigration and Citizenship

USCIS is allowing additional time, 60 days beyond the due date, to respond to requests for evidence and notices of intent to deny, revoke, or rescind an application. This extension is valid through March 31, 2021. For more information visit: 



With regular processing it takes between 16 weeks to get a passport. With expedited processing it takes approximately 12 weeks. In some cases we may be able to help in an emergency if you do not think your passport will arrive on time. For more information visit:

For updates on how COVID is impacting passport operations visit:  


These are just some of the ways we can help. If we can’t help you directly, our office will do our best to connect you with someone who can.