Help with a Federal Agency

In my first term, our office returned over $1.29 million dollars to constituents, responded to over 105,000 emails, letters and calls and closed over 1,600 constituent cases.


If you feel you have been treated unfairly by a federal agency or haven’t been able to get an answer in a timely manner, our office may be able to help. Our office is here to serve residents of Michigan’s 8th district. If you are unsure if you live within the 8th district, click here to find out.

While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you get information and assist you with your problem.

Before we can reach out to federal agencies to request information and work on your case, we will need to get written authorization through a privacy release form. In this privacy release form, our office will need all pertinent information and claim numbers — such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving the Social Security Administration;

  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;

  • Taxpayer identification number (TIN) or Social Security number for an Internal Revenue Service problem;

  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;

  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;

Once you have gathered all of the necessary information, please click one of the options below to begin:

Help with a Federal Agency

Help with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services

The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.


Understanding how my office can help you:


Many people do not know that their member of Congress can help them with a variety of issues involving federal agencies. My office is here to help, so we put together this guide to help you better understand ways we can assist you. We’re here to assist with any federal agency, so please contact us even if your specific issue isn’t mentioned here.


Our office may be able to help with:


  • VA health care issues

  • Delayed VA benefits

  • Accessing GI benefits

  • Issues with the Department of Defense



  • Issues with stalled tax refunds

  • Corrections to how the IRS calculated what you owe

  • Navigation of the appeals process if you believe the IRS made an unfair decision

  • Setting up a payment plan

  • Connecting you with free, local, and public resources for further tax assistance

  • Understanding the Recovery Rebate Credit for individuals who haven’t received their stimulus check(s)



  • Addressing delays or issues with Social Security Benefits

  • Appealing Medicare decisions

  • Following up on Medicare claim status

  • Accessing other federal services available to seniors



  • Stalled applications

  • Status updates

  • Emergency requests to expedite passport applications



  • Requests for expedited processing of petitions or applications

  • Checking the status of a case

  • Communicating questions or concerns with USCIS or the Department of State.


Quick links for FAQs:


Filing 2020 Taxes

The 2020 tax filing season has begun. You can find out about the IRS's free filing options by visiting:

COVID Stimulus Payments

 The IRS is disbursing the Economic Impact Payments from the American Rescue Plan. For updated information on these payments and information on filing for a Recovery Rebate Credit if you have not received a payment but think you should have visit:

Veterans Affairs

As of February 16, 2021, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will extend the existing moratorium on evictions and foreclosures until June 30, 2021. VA borrowers experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 can review VA guidance for borrowers or call 877-827-3702 for additional information. For more information visit: 


Unemployment Assistance

If your employment has been adversely impacted by COVID-19, and you’re unsure if you qualify for unemployment insurance, apply online to see what you qualify for. Unemployment assistance is handled by the state and additional information can be found at:   


ACA Open Enrollment

The Affordable Care Act Marketplace has opened a special enrollment period from February 15 - August 15, 2021. You can sign up for a new plan or change an existing plan by visiting:



Social Security

Due to COVID-19 local Social Security Offices have been closed to public visitors. To find out what online tools the SSA provides or to get your local offices number visit


Federal Student Aid

The Department of Education is extending the COVID Emergency Relief Flexibilities through at least September 30th, 2021. You can find out more information on how this will affect your loan by visiting


Immigration and Citizenship

USCIS is allowing additional time, 60 days beyond the due date, to respond to requests for evidence and notices of intent to deny, revoke, or rescind an application. This extension is valid through March 31, 2021. For more information visit: 



With regular processing it takes between 10-12 weeks to get a passport. With expedited processing it takes between 4-6 weeks. In some cases we may be able to help in an emergency if you do not think your passport will arrive on time. For more information visit:

For updates on how COVID is impacting passport operations visit:  


These are just some of the ways we can help. If we can’t help you directly, our office will do our best to connect you with someone who can.